Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Kroshé é kréyol




So, I have not been able to do as much crocheting these past couple of years.  I had an injury to my arm which made crocheting (writing, typing, and just about everything) difficult.  My doctor said stop using your left arm… but I’m left handed. It was hard, but I followed his directions as much as possible. After learning to use my right hand for the mundane things we all take for granted, and some therapy, my arm is usable again. My first project here reflects what I was doing with my crochet time. 

I started to seriously research my family history.  My genealogy efforts led me to find people who teach Louisiana Creole. So, I began to learn/relearn Louisiana Creole.  I grew up hearing Louisiana Creole and Louisiana French spoken in our home and from some of our Chicago neighbors, but for reasons similar to those of many other Louisiana Creoles from Louisiana, from around the country, and from around the world, I was not encouraged to speak the language(s). Therefore, I learned very little as a young person. Now, though, I am learning lots and lots. In any case, when my physical therapist told me I can begin to slowly use my hand again, this was one of the first projects that came to mind. I guess you can say I have Creole on the brain… and I like it.

This hat says, Mo çé Kréyol – I am Creole. The colors are the colors of the Louisiana Creole Flag.  I made it with my niece in mind, but it is more of a statement piece. This particular pattern is not mine, but I put my own spin to it. (The pattern is Kool Rock Ski from Afya Ibomu.)

I think I may need to rename this blog Kroshé é kréyol – Crochet and Creole.  LOL

And the sad news, one of my wonderful dogs, Chaos (the one on the right in the picture), died since I last wrote here. We miss him tremendously.  Trouble, always my constant companion, is still with us. Golden doodles are the best dogs, truly.

Ça fé dé ou trò nan mo té pa kapab pou kroshé kom avan. Mo té fé dî mal mô brá gosh. Alòr çé té dir, dir, dir pou kroshé, ekri, é toukishòj.  Mô doktè, li té dí mò pou arété sèrvi mo bra gosh…mé mo lamin gosh. Çé té dir, mé mo swiví ça’k li té dí mò.  Apré aprenn pou servi mó lamin dròt é kèk trètmon pou tournyé ça, mo ka sèrvi mo brá enkò. Mô prémiyé shapo isi mònt kwa mo t’apé fé avèk mô tem kroshé.

Mo komensé pou trouvé mô listwá famiy.  Mô louvraj jiniòloji édé mò pou trouvé moun-yé ki mont kréyòl Lalwizyan.  Alòr, mo té komensé pou aprenn/aprenn bæk kréyol Lalwizyan.  Mo té éné dan Lalwizyan é mo tandé kréyol Lalwizyan é françé Lalwizyan dan nô lamézon é avèk kèk vwazin Shikagó-yé.  Pou rézon-yé mèmm kom moun Kréyol Lalwizyan tou partou, plin nou té pa donné kouraj pou parlé langaj-layé.  Mé astœr, mé astœr, m’apé aprenn un ta un ta.  Entouka, kan mô doktè té dí Mò pou sèrvi mô lamin enkò, ça isit té viní prémiyé dan mô latèt. Mo devinn to ka di mo gin kréyol dan/si gòl é mo linm ça!

Shapo-çila di Mo çé Kréyol! Koulær-yé mèmm kom koulær si Drapo Kréyol Lalwizyan.  Ça isit patron çé pa mokin, mé mo mèt mokin shanjé-yé. (Ça isit çé Kool Rock Ski par Afya Ibomu.)

Mo pens mo pé tournyé nom-la de mô blog a Kroshé é kréyòl. Kkkk


Mo tris pou di unn mo vayan shin, Folí (Chaos), té mourí dépi mo té ekri isit.  Nouzòt byin manké li. Traka (Trouble), toujou avèk mò, çé isit enkò.   Shin-yé mélanje avèk Shærshœr doré/tá gran kanish, yé byin vayan, vrémen! (Aprenn kréyol Lalwizyan - Learn Louisiana Creole)