Saturday, August 1, 2009

Square Foot Gardening 2009
Last year, I began a little vegetable and herb garden in my small backyard. I used the square foot gardening method since I did not want to use a lot of space. I got some wood planks and my tool set and constructed a four foot by four foot planter. It was wonderful. We feasted on cucumbers, tomatoes, chard, onions, carrots, lettuce, all types of herbs, sweet peppers, and cayenne peppers. I even unsucessfully tried watermelon.

This year, is some what of a dud. We did get lettuce, onions, carrots, and some chard. However, everything else I planted did not grow well. I switched the plants around so that they were not grown in the same spot as last year, so I don't think that was it. In addition, the japanese beetles that loved my leafy plants last year attacked the pepper leaves instead. I decided to pull everything except the chard and herbs and start again next year. Any suggestions?

By the way, if you want to try your hand (or green thumb) at this, look for info on Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment